Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The rough patches


“God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: 

It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world” 

~ C.S. Lewis




These past few days I've been battling a rough case of homesickness.


As excited as I was (and am) to be here, I've been feeling really alone and a little lost. There are wonderful people that we've met. But we've still just met them. I'm longing to be surrounded by those who know me best. And they are all so far away right now. I don't want to give up and go home. I just want to be done with this phase of moving already.


I am glad we're here. And I know that God brought us here. But that doesn't necessarily mean things will automatically be a breeze. It doesn't mean that I will magically make friends overnight. It doesn't mean that we won't miss our families and life long friendships back in California.

The reality is, God hasn't promised us that this would be easy or that we'd even like it.

But He has promised to never leave us. He has promised to give us peace. to give us joy in the midst of all things. That we will never really be alone. That He will provide for us. That His plans for us have a purpose... It's a long list.

Because I know that... It's now up to me. I can either crawl into a corner and try to escape, or I can recognize God's sovereignty and choose to trust Him.

God grows us, speaks to us, comforts us, and loves us in the midst of pain in such a tangible way. He makes it worth it. Because I know Him, I know that it will be.

So, dear friends. Keep us in your prayers. Pray that we would allow God to grow us through the rough patches.

Also, here's some adorableness thrown in for good measure... you're welcome.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry you're feeling like this, hope everything gets better.

Laura Hernandez said...

We love and miss you guys immensely. You guys are forever in our hearts and still living right around the corner in my mind. Can't wait for your next visit.

Unknown said...

That must be so hard but you're right God brought you there. I hope you quickly find some people that you can feel at home with.

JW | PEONY said...

I am one to quickly get homesick. Funny enough, that picture reminds me of my home... Seattle :)

cute blog

Unknown said...

Oh goodness, me.
I can completely understand how you feel.
I packed up and moved off to the big city of Dallas after college.
It was the scariest thing I ever did.
& in the end ... it was also one of the BEST things I ever did.
I am back home now, but I am really blessed that God put in Dallas for as long as He needed me there.
He gave my heart peace & rest when I sought to trust in Him.
It's hard to do that sometimes.
I can remember not having words to express to God how I felt in those moments of loneliness ... so I would just whisper the sweet, sweet name of "Jesus" over and over again.
Aw. Such peace.
much love, Colie.

theplaidsparrow.blogspot.com

Jess said...

You are so sweet Colie...

and all I can really say is, amen :) Your story sounds much like where I'm at and is super encouraging to hear! Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing that with us.