Sunday, February 19, 2012

What we're reading | The Hunger Games


Where to begin? I finished these books in less than a week. Rene's not far behind. You've probably read them, or are reading them, or have had someone tell you to read them. They are amazing and captivating and addicting. But you've likely heard that already. 

If you haven't yet succumbed to peer pressure and started the series, I'd recommend it. Cautiously, that is. 

First, because they are intense. You'll be on edge at the end of every page and will likely lose sleep. Depending on how much you enjoy reading and how much free time you have, that could be a positive or a negative thing. 

Secondly, because they are intense. Not just in the page-turning-addictive way, but in content. These books deal with violent, disturbing, terrifying issues. But that is why I loved them. I know, I sound like a very disturbed individual at this point, but here is my thinking...

We read books like The Hunger Games and are shocked at the content. The things that an author could think up and put to paper. We're so comfortable and safe and well-fed in our lives that these things seem so strange and distant and impossible to us. And maybe those things are impossible in your world. You may never feel the pain of starvation or the fear of oppression or the horror of violence. But there are real people in the world who do. Currently. 

That is why I loved the Hunger Games. Yes, the story was a wonderful one. But it also gave me a wake up call. It reminded me that what I thought to be so impossible and far away was closer to home and more real than I'd recognized. 

May our eyes be opened to others. May we be more often reminded of the pain and injustice in our world. And more importantly, may we be inspired to so something about it. 


6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Loved The Hunger Games books. I had such a hard time putting them down, and for all the same (albeit disturbing) reasons you listed. I was surprised too to remember a book I read in high school about some indigenous tribes in Africa that actually made peace treaties by swapping a baby from each tribe... not quite the same as the HG concept but still... some unbelievable things happen in fact and fiction. Great write up! And thanks for the love on my blog! :)

Jess said...

It's crazy how easily forget that these things actually happen isn't it... I'm glad you loved the books too. Thanks for stopping by :)

Amira said...

How cute is your header?? I love it :-) I also devoured the first two books in a matter of days and had to wait an excruciating two months before the 3rd came out.

toridawn said...

I *just* finished Mockingjay on Saturday morning (before I went in to work, I might add). I read the first book in one day (seriously) and took about 2 days to finish the second. I took my time with the last book because as much as I wanted to know how it would all end, I didn't want it to end!

I agree with all of your sentiments about how there are people in this world experiencing their own horrors...in our reality TV-and-celebrity-obsessed society aren't too far from living in oblivion like the Capitol citizens. You're right: awareness isn't enough, we must be inspired to do something about it. Great post, Jess.

Jess said...

Haha... You sound just like I was. I literally slept only two hours one night reading the first one. And I didn't want the last book to end either. That's so true about the Capitol too! I thought that to myself a lot while reading them. It made me want to be as far from that mindset as I could be! That's why I loved these books. Thanks for stopping by my dear :)

amelia stine said...

I'm going to start these tonight! I'm really excited!